Friday, July 15, 2011

Dos Semanas en Peru

Wow. It's been two weeks already- halfway there! It's tough to find time to blog, but here I am on a Friday night finding time to do so. It's really wonderful to have time alone because alone time is difficult to come by here at Casa de Aguila. In fact children are hovering over the computer as I type. yessica jalixto mahacacuantos(8 yrs) ( that's her wanting to type her name) is sitting here with me by the computer taking tons of pictures on my camera and running up the battery. These kids are fascinated with technology. They walk around with my iphone in their hands, playing Justin Beiber over and over again. I think they have "El fiebre de Justin." Everyday our friend Yazmin (14 yrs) comes over to our house to just be with us. Our Spanish is horrible and I don't think we're that interesting, but she loves being in our presence. Last Friday, they didn't have school, but our Spanish class meets from 2-5, so she went to class with us! She has been a good friend, and I hate to leave her at the end of the month!

The last weekend we went down to the thermal baths in Cconoc, and I decided it wasn't worth getting in them because the water was lukewarm and getting out was brutally cold. Mary, Bailey, and I just hung around and took pictures while everyone else got in. The mosquitos here are terrible! At one point I looked down to find about 50 mosquitos on one leg. The bites(picaduras) last quite a while, as I am still experiencing pain a week later. I have tons of bites, and get more and more everyday even after dousing myself and bug spray. I guess they love that fresh blood because none of the people here seem to have bites. Pray that I will be healed from the bites and will be kept from getting more because they are so painful, and keep me from going to sleep at night. I'm not going to miss the insects here, that's for sure! We have found so many spiders in our beds and in our clothes, and one day we found a brown recluse hanging from its web in front of Cindy's face. That was terrifying!

Every morning we have breakfast at 7, and then work at 8:30. Last week I was in the kitchen, but this week we were down in the field digging holes to plant posts for a fence to hold the horses. We can not use post hole diggeres because there are giant rocks in the ground that we have to dig around. Instead we use these 30 pound iron rods to jab in the ground until a perfect 2-foot hole is formed. This task seemed impossible with all the boulders we ran into. I kept referring to Matthew 17:20 and having faith to move a mountain- The bible is so applicable in theses circumstances, ya know? On Wednesday we took a break and drove up to the villages in the surrounding mountains to tell them about the eye clinic we are having in a few days. Our first stop was a visit to an older Quechuan man with liver cancer. Luz (the nurse @ CDA) has been occasionally visiting him and checking on his health. He lives with his daughter and her husband and kids, and their living conditions are unbelievable. We entered the house made of mud and dirt and there were cuy (guinea pigs) everywhere and meat hanging from the ceiling. Yes- they eat guinea pigs here in Peru, and they were not contained, but running around the house. Greg, the missionary here, was telling us all about the health conditions and how hygiene is foreign to them. Their work is primarily agrarian work, and when someone is not able to do their job, as when one becomes older and helpless, they are not valued any longer, and are neglected. They literally don't feed them or give any attention to them, so they will die sooner and be out of their hands. I could not bare to hear this, and began crying. Fortunately, this family has been taught the value that God has for each and every one of His children, and they love and care for this man. I don't believe he was a Christian, and so Greg presented the gospel right there that he would accept Christ; however the gospel was presented in Spanish and the man did not understand it because he speaks Quechuan, but he prayed the prayer in Spanish anyway. This whole experience was wearing on my spirit, and the sadness lingered with me the whole day. You truly have to rely on God and trust Him to do what he is going to do- to know that you can do nothing to save these people is terrifying, but God is in control, and He is sovereign- I can't say anything more.

Tomorrow we are off to Machu Picchu, and I can not be more excited! Pray that the trip goes well and that there are opportunities to witness and glorify the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Wow so my computer erased everything I said so this ismy second attempt. Lol ...But anyways, it is amazing how the Lord moves when we have no ides what we are doing. The story about the man who was saved is incredible. The spirit completely took over because it was God's time for his heart. Praise Him! Awesome to hear how he is moving. I pray healing over you and for the Lord to continually use ya'll. Continue to let the King humble you my friend, breakthrough is near.
    In Christ,
    Daniel Reyna

    ReplyDelete